Studley Park House, Camden NSW
Said to be haunted by 14 year old Ray Blackstone whom drowned in a nearby damn on 15th October 1909. His lifeless body was said to have been carried back to the house and kept in the cellar awaiting certification and burial.
In 1939, the son of then owner Arthur Adolphus Gregory died of appendicitis in the theatrette. Again a boys body lay in wait in this house.
It is said that the presence of children can be felt throughout the house, but in the tower stands a lonely woman waiting the return of her man.
The History
The Studley Park property has a history that goes back 200 years. Governor Lachlan Macquarie granted the property as 2 parcels of 100 acres each to John Condron and William Parrott in 1810. After several changes in ownership it was purchased as 1 parcel by W.C Payne in 1888 that went about building Studley Park House, so named after Studley Park near Ripon in Yorkshire, England. In 1891, Payne was obliged to sell the property to Francis Buckle, the Architect of the house, to cover his debts. In 1902 the property became the Camden Grammar School after it was sold to Dr Henry Oliver. The property continued its life as a school until 1933 when the school closed and it was sold for $4,900 to Arthur Gregory, Sales Manager of Twentieth Century Fox, who went about refurbishing the house in the Art Deco style. Gregory was a keen golfer and commissioned Eric Apperley to design a 9-hole course for Studley Park. A further 9 holes were later designed.
The property was acquired by the Army during WW2 at a cost of $16,000 and used as a School of Tactical Instruction. One of its first students was Lieutenant A R Cutler who later became the Governor of NSW. The end of the war saw a decline in the use of Studley Park and in 1951, the newly formed WRAC moved in to start their training under WO2 Patricia Rawlings.
From the 1930s to 1950 golf was played at several venues within the Camden area. In 1949 a group of local residents approached the Army and secured a 10-year lease on all but 18 acres (containing Studley Park House and its surrounds) for use as a golf club and so Camden Golf Club Ltd was established in 1950 at its permanent site at Studley Park. The stables were converted for use as the clubhouse. In 1958 major extensions were added to the clubhouse and further work was completed in 1973. In 1975 Studley Park House was surplus to the Army’s requirements but it was not until 1984 that negotiations commenced to bring Studley Park House under the control of Camden Golf Club or alternatively into public ownership. This resulted in Charles Naughton and Gabriel Olsen purchasing Studley Park House in 1989 who in turn left it vacant in 1994. The lease was extended a number of times and in 1992 the Federal Government agreed to sell the land to Camden Golf Club Limited on a 99 year lease. In 1995 the lease was finally signed. Camden Golf Club purchased Studley Park House and Lot 1 in 1996 thereby bringing the entire property under its
control. We celebrated our 50th Anniversary at Studley Park in 2000.
'The History' Copied from: http://www.camdengolfclub.com.au/index.php?id=20
Further reading: http://www.camdenhistory.org.au/Studley%20Park.pdf
In 1939, the son of then owner Arthur Adolphus Gregory died of appendicitis in the theatrette. Again a boys body lay in wait in this house.
It is said that the presence of children can be felt throughout the house, but in the tower stands a lonely woman waiting the return of her man.
The History
The Studley Park property has a history that goes back 200 years. Governor Lachlan Macquarie granted the property as 2 parcels of 100 acres each to John Condron and William Parrott in 1810. After several changes in ownership it was purchased as 1 parcel by W.C Payne in 1888 that went about building Studley Park House, so named after Studley Park near Ripon in Yorkshire, England. In 1891, Payne was obliged to sell the property to Francis Buckle, the Architect of the house, to cover his debts. In 1902 the property became the Camden Grammar School after it was sold to Dr Henry Oliver. The property continued its life as a school until 1933 when the school closed and it was sold for $4,900 to Arthur Gregory, Sales Manager of Twentieth Century Fox, who went about refurbishing the house in the Art Deco style. Gregory was a keen golfer and commissioned Eric Apperley to design a 9-hole course for Studley Park. A further 9 holes were later designed.
The property was acquired by the Army during WW2 at a cost of $16,000 and used as a School of Tactical Instruction. One of its first students was Lieutenant A R Cutler who later became the Governor of NSW. The end of the war saw a decline in the use of Studley Park and in 1951, the newly formed WRAC moved in to start their training under WO2 Patricia Rawlings.
From the 1930s to 1950 golf was played at several venues within the Camden area. In 1949 a group of local residents approached the Army and secured a 10-year lease on all but 18 acres (containing Studley Park House and its surrounds) for use as a golf club and so Camden Golf Club Ltd was established in 1950 at its permanent site at Studley Park. The stables were converted for use as the clubhouse. In 1958 major extensions were added to the clubhouse and further work was completed in 1973. In 1975 Studley Park House was surplus to the Army’s requirements but it was not until 1984 that negotiations commenced to bring Studley Park House under the control of Camden Golf Club or alternatively into public ownership. This resulted in Charles Naughton and Gabriel Olsen purchasing Studley Park House in 1989 who in turn left it vacant in 1994. The lease was extended a number of times and in 1992 the Federal Government agreed to sell the land to Camden Golf Club Limited on a 99 year lease. In 1995 the lease was finally signed. Camden Golf Club purchased Studley Park House and Lot 1 in 1996 thereby bringing the entire property under its
control. We celebrated our 50th Anniversary at Studley Park in 2000.
'The History' Copied from: http://www.camdengolfclub.com.au/index.php?id=20
Further reading: http://www.camdenhistory.org.au/Studley%20Park.pdf